During the fall season, it is especially important to get your car some maintenance. The back to school chaos and change in weather pattern can create some dangerous driving conditions and making sure that your car is in top mechanical condition is essential to staying safe on the road.
Here are some important things that you can do for maintenance to your car during this time of year:
- Battery: The cold weather is tough on the battery in your car and it is important to make sure that the connections are clean and free from corrosion. When the connections are dirty, they do not charge the battery as efficiently as possible, leading to you being stranded with a dead battery
- Defroster and heater: When the weather outside is cold, the heater and defroster inside of your car work to clear the windows from any ice or fog. This makes it safe for you to drive, even in the cold weather or after your car has been sitting outside for a long period of time.
- Wiper blades: The fall season is especially known for heavy rains, which can be difficult to drive in. Make sure that the wiper blades on your car are new and free from cracking or missing pieces so that the water on your windshield is cleared thoroughly during a storm.
- Tires: Having good tires with plenty of tread is never more important than it is during the fall season, especially during the early fall when the rains just begin. During the summer season there are many vehicles on the road and they leave behind deposits of oil and grease. When the first rains fall, the water mixes with the oil and leaves the road slippery and dangerous.
- Brakes: Make sure to have your brake system checked, including the linings and pads to make sure that your car will stop safely in a rainstorm when the road is wet and slick.
Regular car maintenance is the best way that you can ensure your family’s safety during the rainy season of fall. If your car is properly maintained, the chances of a malfunction causing a collision are greatly reduced.