One of the most important parts of your car is your brake pads. Your brakes are necessary for everything from parking to keeping those around you safe, and if they are not functioning properly, you can put yourself and others at risk. The top five signs that you need to install new brake pads include:
- Squealing noises. The biggest hallmark of shot brake pads is a squealing noise as you stop, which comes from a built-in indicator that omits that sound as you use your brakes to signal that they need to be replaced.
- Clicking noises. Certain car designs include a mechanism that holds your brake pads in place, and once loosened or worn down, these braces begin to loosen, making a clicking noise as you come to a stop.
- Longer stops. Longer stop times for your car, or a tendency to roll forward after slightly loosening the pressure on your brake pedal, can be a strong indicator of less-effective brake pads that need to be replaced.
- Uneven movement when braking. Sometimes, when coming to a stop, if your car veers to one side as you press on the brake, this could mean that one of your brake pads is weaker than the other. Problems like this need special attention from a mechanic for a proper diagnosis
- Vibrating brake pedal. When going to stop, any issues in your ability to brake, especially a vibrating brake pedal, can be an indicator of faulty or worn-down brake pads.
Getting Your Brakes Tested by a Mechanic
If you suspect your brakes are wearing down and require a replacement, contact an auto technician and have your car evaluated to properly diagnose the problem at hand. At Ken Scales Automotive, our team of experienced auto technicians can properly evaluate and diagnose the problems with your vehicle, helping you get your car back on the road in no time. For more information on our services or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.